PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air cadet instructors
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2005, 11:52
Circuit Basher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As 'coming out' seems to be the thing in this thread, I'll declare myself as an ex-cadet who went through the ranks to be a CWO for 3 yrs and have now completed 19 yrs of commissioned service in the RAFVR(T). I have a small amount of regular service (Eng Branch), but was recoursed / chopped from IOT in 1982. I suppose that in the steely eyes of Mil Aircrew, I'm a wannabe blunty. I would refute that view, as I was never given the opportunity to join the steely eyed band (failed GD(P) medical in 1973 and went on to do an undergraduate apprenticeship with a little known British Manufacturer of military aircraft near Blackpool!). I have also subsequently self-funded a PPL.

I view our role in the ACO as being part 'salesmen' to introduce cdts to what military life is about, part teacher and part careers adviser. Due to declining miltary recruitment, probably about 95% of the cdts we deal with will not finish up with a military career. We can, however, keep the little varmints off the streets at a crucial stage of their life - I always tell new recruits in our Sqn that I don't really mind what they do as a career so long as I can see them around town in future years and be proud to say that I had a part in their development. They are future voters, so any experience they have of military matters will enable them to make more informed choices.

On camps (for which there are woefully few cadet / staff places), the parent service for the greater part do an excellent job of hosting us - on some stations, the ACLO is outstanding and is able to be very hands on - whenever I've been Camp Comm, I've always tried to make sure that those who excel receive due feedback to their line management. I'm experienced enough to recognise those that have a busy day job which prevents them from getting too involved - there are ACLOs who make the effort, just as there are ACO staff / cdts who don't appreciate what's been done behind the scenes to facilitate their presence on camp.

I can only apologise for those that are an embarassment to our organisation - I try to respect the fact that we are guests on the station and use the time as far as possible to update myself with the current issues in the service from the view of those that are currently serving.

Thank you to all who support the ACO (either directly or indirectly) whether as camp hosts, day visits, parent stations - it is recognised that without your support the ACO would not exist.