PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air cadet instructors
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2005, 23:08
Postman Plod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ProcATCO - crying shame that! The ATC is crying out for adult instructors - you may (or may not!) have noticed the recent high profile recruitment campaign (cheesy radio adverts, national, regional, and local press, etc) and when I hear about such petty arguements forcing a dedicated instructor to resign, it makes my blood boil! I have seen wing staff close ranks to the detriment of the Corps before however, and it makes absolutely no sense - who are we in this for after all?!

I agree completely with what you have said though. In some cases, the ATC at all levels just shoots itself in the foot, or creates massive problems for itself. One example (which I understand is in the process of being resolved) is in CRB clearance for new and existing staff, which in some cases has taken up to 10 months (by which time, any sane person would have given up and gone to the scouts, whos CRB clearance is covered by the local authority and takes weeks rather than months). Other examples might be ongoing complete Adventure Training ban in some regions awaiting a mystical ACP that may take a year to appear, or the implementation of legaslation-enforced regulations on how over-18 year old cadets are viewed by the Corps, and H&S concerns coming out of our ears (the risk assessment for a drill session still makes me chuckle).

One recent change that you may have noticed however is a change to the staff SNCO rank structure, with the introduction of Adult Sergeants and Flight Sergeants. This has hopefully given a bit of career progression for Adult SNCOs, and also means you are no longer seeing brand new 21 year old Adult Warrant Officers waltzing about the Sgts Mess. Hopefully a bit less politically sensitive, although you may still have issues there I guess.