PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air cadet instructors
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2005, 20:46
ProcATCO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel

Interesting Thread this!!!!!!!

I am ex TA and regular NCO Aircrew, and after some time getting established after leaving the service, I entered the ATC as an Adult Instructor, and then became an Adult WO. This was with 221 Sqn in Great Yarmouth. Excellent staff, good kids (some rough as rats, but generally as good as gold), a real pleasure.

Then we moved to Wales, and I went to a sqn here - no names, no pack drill - which was a mess. The kids were completely lacking in discipline to the extent that they called all the uniformed staff by their first names AT ALL TIMES!! I started to rectify this only to be told by the CO not to, as this gave the kids an inferiority complex. I let him know my feelings on this as an ex-regular and was told to desist.

I applied for a transfer, only to be told by the Wing that this was not to be, so I resigned!

My point being that some ATC staff including senior staff seem to want to be as obstructive to the ethos of giving the kids the discipline and skills that they need in the great wide world. I would go back into ATC like a shot, and I wish the ATC all the best in the world. To see rough kids blossom into excellent young people ready for the world is one of the best feelings that I have ever had.

To all ATC staff, keep doing the good work, keep enjoying it and all power to you all!!