PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fitness Tests
Thread: Fitness Tests
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2005, 06:53
Biggus

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts
L1A2 suggested that under rules due to come into place in future failing you annual fitness test 4 times would lead to an admin discharge. I can see a couple of problems with this.

Firstly, as L1A2 suggests it is one way of getting out for people in trades with long PVR waiting times. Also an Admin discharge does not carry the financial penalties that a PVR often does/can.

Then there is the legal aspect. I know several people in the RAF, and there must be quite a few, who are permanetly 'excused' fitness tests for medical reasons (often knee problems). Now if we are going to discharge people who fail it, but not those who cannot complete it, that would seem to me to be discriminatory. Why are some people who don't meet the fitness criteria retained and others discharged? No doubt a smart lawyer/barrister or industrial tribuneral could take the MOD to the cleaners over it, for a 6 figure sum. I don't particular agree with a lot of 'touchy feely' human rights type law, but as long as it is out there it will be used!!

Incidently, surely the only 'scientific' fitness test the RAF employs is the bike test for 'old gits', as it actually measures VO2 max?