View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2005, 19:17
FoxHunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Age 60 Battle vs ALPA

www.apaad.org

August 17, 2005

RE: Revocation of ALPA Dues Check Off.

To say that we pilots are disgruntled with ALPA’s support of the Age 60 Rule would be somewhat of an understatement.

A good number ALPA pilots have approached me recently suggesting that resignation from ALPA would be a wise response to ALPA's position on the Age 60 rule. Many of these are very experienced individuals who have fought on behalf of their profession either as strikers at CAL, EAL, etc., or they are those who honored picket lines rather than take jobs, such as the Braniff pilots did.

To resign would, in effect, mean to go on strike against ALPA over its decadent and unethical position. I also know that it is difficult for many pilots to resign ALPA and "agency shop" contractual provisions would mean they would have to pay “germane expenses” anyway.

Therefore, the idea came up that, we should terminate our Dues Check Off (DCO) agreements with ALPA, thereby, delivering to the Association a meaningful message of discontent. Several FedEx pilots have informed me that they have already initiated the process. Current ranking MEC members at other airlines have told me that terminating DCO is a meaningful endeavor that causes increased administrative workload for ALPA.

Revoking DCO means that ALPA will have to send you a paper statement every month and you will need to write a check to them. Indications are that you may delay payment for several or many months before they threaten you with "Bad Standing," at which point you may catch up by sending in a check.

This is, in my opinion, an important inter-airline act of civil disobedience that is intended to get ALPA's attention.
It is up to each individual to make the decision for his-self based on ALPA's position on Age 60. If ALPA fails to respond, I expect to see resignations.

A number of pilots have informed me that they have also terminated their ALPA PAC contributions in protest over Age 60.

To revoke authorization of Dues Check Off: Send an email to:

[email protected]

Provide your name, airline, and ALPA number. State that you wish to revoke your authorization for Dues Check Off because of ALPA’s Age 60 Rule position! Let’s have some fun!

Gary L. Cottingham
Communications Director
Airline Pilots Against Age Discrimination
Indianapolis, Indiana
317.513.0099 Sprint
317.498.6383 Verizon
[email protected]
www.apaad.org