PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air cadet instructors
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2005, 14:11
wub

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I served as a regular for ten years and then another fifteen as a VR(T) officer including a spell as a gliding instructor), ending up as a squadron commander before retiring. During that time I met many many dedicated and capable ATC staff, civilian and military. I also met quite a few @rses who were clearly in it for themselves.

The most embarassing moments were always at camp when the ATC staff had to mix with regulars; many just couldn't cut it and came across as total idiots.

I recall being on a staff visit to Laarbruch during the run-up to GW1. This was a rare occasion when staff spent a week, without cadets, learning how a front-line unit operated. Laarbruch was almost maxed-out, yet still took the time to host us. On one day we were being given a tour of a HAS, the bod assigned to look after us was giving us a really thorough briefing and was about to let us see a JP 233 when on of our party said. "No, it's okay, the mess is just about to serve lunch" and promptly swanned-off. The guy's chin hit the floor and I hoped the ground would swallow me.

On another trip to Germany (Gutersloh, I believe), The ATC camp commandant was asked to leave the mess by the PMC because he was swigging his beer from a bottle.

A final memory is of the Sqn Ldr camp commandant at a camp in Akrotiri who had spent his three-day prep time sightseeing, with the result that when the cadets and staff arrived after, for some, a 24-hour journey, there were no arrangements for accommodation, or transport. We were left at the terminal while he drove off "to get some keys". Luckily we were rescued by some aircrew from 100 Sqn who helped no end while this idiot toured the base looking for 'keys'.

On the positive side, people who regularly give up two evenings a week and most weekends should be acknowledged as dedicated and hard working. Those who do make faux pas are probably being let down by their squadron commanders, who should be briefing them as to how to conduct themselves on a military establishment.

I for one will be eternally grateful for the help and support of the regular RAF when we descended on their unit for annual camp. I always found that a professional approach was returned with pleasure and an obvious satisfaction at being able to help.