PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air cadet instructors
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2005, 07:00
Tiger_mate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There has been a lot of honest comments here all of which I can relate to having had several years experience working with the ATC from a service perspective.

There are many, many VRT staff who work for the Cadets with untold dedication. There are sadly some who are an absolute disgrace to the uniform that they are privileged to wear. Happily the later are very much the minority, although they are also the ones that are noticed by the public and servicemen alike.

I have witnessed on several occasions servicemen, and often cpls and sacs, having a quiet word. In sympathy with the numbers in para 2, most VRT listen and learn, the odd arrogant ba"%%^d throws a teddy and complains.

The important side to this debate regardless of where your loyalties lie, is that the Cadets are not (usually) the ones seen can kicking on street corners and mugging mobile phones off teenagers and old ladies. They are usually highly motivated, and less there be any doubt about that, have a go at the staff cadet exam which ammounts to defence studies worthy of an IOT or Staff Course. If a bit of time and effort keeps these kids off the streets for a few hours a week, creates teamwork and responsibility (Duke of Edinburghs award) then we should all support them.

As ACLO at a purple learning centre, I enjoy unreserved (and costly £££$$$) support from all members of my station. We host the Cadets on 12 annual camps and day visits for the remainder of the year. I was pleasantly surprised when after having a "knob in power" on the unit that caused some localised ill feeling, the station rose above that and have enabled the cadets to have a sucessfull and enjoyable time at what for many is their first summer camp.

I felt quite privileged as operating crew on an aircraft that had on board a Cadet who at 14 years of age had never flown before. Not least of which was because as a 14 year old on board a Whirlwind helicopter at RAF Valley a long time ago, that said Cadet was me!! 28 years of service later.........

I rest my case: