PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air cadet instructors
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2005, 14:45
PileUp Officer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm..
Back in day when I was an Air Cadet the adult staff on my squadron didn’t paint a particularly good impression of ATC staff or officers.

The OC and other officers seemed to have some huge politics thing going and there was a large amount of favouritism for certain cadets. There were inappropriate relationships going on between a few cadets and adult staff.

My WO was a complete idiot. He was a wannabe RAF Warrant Officer who couldn’t hack it so he instead ordered round lots of kids, intimidating them almost to the point of bullying in some cases.
He was a postman and there was a running joke with the older cadets that he couldn’t get into the Royal Air Force so he joined the Royal Mail.
Once he took a friend and I into his office and tried to threaten us and make admit to something which happened on a night out and was completely unconnected with the ATC.

My Dad always said to me that to be an ATC officer (or VR(T) or whatever the technical name is) you had to be really fat!

During IOT I got the impression that there was a lot of bad feeling towards the ATC officers as they “do a one week course in marching and rank insignias and get the same commission as us”

Anyway, just a few thoughts for you. There are a lot of cool ATC officers out there who do a lot of good and really help young people but, in my opinion, there are also a lot who are simply power hungry and want to boss kids around and boast that they are ‘”in the Air Force”.