PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air cadet instructors
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2005, 14:27
Tanewha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was a Spacey for 6 years and enjoyed just about every minute of it (right up to the point that I was asked to leave, but that's another story). My Sqn (424 Southampton) was blessed with an excellent bunch of VR(T) officers and CI's who went out of their way to get the cadets doing as wide a variety of things as possible.
However, since joining the RAF I have helped out at a local Sqn and acted as liason on Summer Camps. In these duties I have seen some "officers" who really concern me and are a shocking representation of the RAF. These people send entirely the wrong message about the RAF to the very people that we might eventually recruit. Some of it is not their fault. The training given to VR(T) officers at Cranditz is, in my opinion, too brief to really produce the ideal. It is therefore down to the individual. As in all walks of life there are some bad eggs but it is down to the good ones and the full time RAF officers to help educate them.
SPG,
I hope that you had a word with said Flt Lt and pointed out the error of his ways. RAFVR(T) officers are very often the only contact Joe Public has with the Military and we should do our best to make sure that a good impression is being given.