PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air cadet instructors
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2005, 14:25
Spotting Bad Guys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As you say, though - you get all types. Most of my RAFVR(T) and ATC compatriots in the time I was an SI were pretty high-quality individuals, and would not have been out of the place in the regular commissioned or SNCO cadres.

However, to cite another example of something I saw that I didn't like - there was a tendancy in some quarters to forget that the ATC is a supporting organisation to the RAF and the accompanying attitude of "why doesn't RAF (insert name here) do more for us?".
The difference was made in that particular Wing by getting more of the key ATC staff to local RAF units and to show them the what the ops tempo was doing to us - they then understood the challenges faced by the ACLOs....

We also used to put together an annual leadership camp for 200 cadets and 50 staff - out in the field, wearing green kit (for those that could get it) - navigating, pine pole exercises, river crossings etc plus shooting, confidence course and so on.

The great thing for me (as the Training Officer) was seeing the staff get stuck in on the exercises, learn and improve just as much as the cadets over the course of the week. There could be something in this team building stuff, you know!

Cheers

SBG