PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air cadet instructors
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2005, 13:45
mgdaviso

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stax - you get all sorts.....

Just to 're-educate' you slightly.

We're not "VR", we're VR(T)

We're not ATC Officers, we are RAF VR(T) Officers, ain't no such thing as an ATC Officer.

From www.rafweb.org
When the Air Defence Cadet Corps was taken over by the Air Ministry and renamed the Air Training Corps in 1941, a new class of the RAFVR was formed to man run this organisation, the RAF Volunteer Reserve (Training Branch).
We now (as of Sept 03) have adult NCO's (Sgt, FS and WO) these guys n gals have "ATC" on their shoulder tapes, which distinguish them as ATC personnel.

Sounds like they guy was a bit of a t1t, please don't tar us all with the same brush. On their behalf I don't apologise.

As for me? Unfit for service medically, had been a spacey, and decided to pursue civvi career, stayed with the ATC and eventually signed on the dotted line as a VR(T) Officer. Didn't fancy TA and hadn't heard of RAuxF back then (otherwise I may have requested to join them).

I take great pleasure in providing a support structure and training for 60+ local kids, who (mostly) want to pursue a career in the armed forces or do something positive with their teenage years.

I have a WO to order them around!

P.S. I once saw an RAFVR(T) Flt Lt in a grow bag in LOO Officers\' Mess, wearing a flying suit with a very odd brevet...wandered over for a chat and a closer look only to find out that the wings were "Model Aircraft Pilot".......
oh dear god - once more I apologise....