PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wow it really sucks up here!
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2005, 18:18
herc driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ross 11

Something like this definitely requires research and careful thought before you "jump in with both feet". You have a lot of money at stake as well.

It seems, once you distill much of the insults & fighting out of this thread, that there are three areas of concern for you (and this thread I believe) when thinking about flying in canada.

1: The quality of flight training in Canada
2: The state of the low salaries that some people believe that Canadian pilots are willing to accept to work as commercial or airline pilots (in the charters or majors).
3: The international "value" of the Canadian pilot licence (Commercial, Airline, MIFR etc ...)

That is what people seem to be arguing about in the last few pages. Decide for yourself I suppose.

It sounds as if you only wish to seek flying training in Canada and not employment as a commercial or airline pilot after your training is complete. I can only assume that you will return home to India and begin your career from there. So lets forget about point #2.

The international value of a Canadian pilot licence - I am in no position to comment on that issue. I simply don't know enough about the topic to make any recommendations. As both military and civilian I have flown all over the world and I can safely say that I am as good as they come from any country. I am not the best and neither am I the worst. As a Canadian pilot I am a competent and skilled professional who is proud of his abilities. You'll have to ask someone else about point #3.

So, lets focus on point #1. Flying training in Canada.

If you ask 5 different people their thoughts on this matter I guarantee that you will receive a half a dozen different opinions and responses.

Like any industry there are good training institutions and bad ones. Despite government (Transport Canada) regulations you will always find schools of dubious quality. I am sure some of the horror stories mentioned in this thread are indeed true. I am sure that there are some very questionable, shady flying clubs that operate on a "fly by night" ethic. You just need to make sure that you enroll in a reputable school.

However, that being said, know that there are some very reputable flying training schools in Canada. Just like in any country in the EU, in the USA or any country for that matter ... there are good schools and bad schools. Canada is no different. There are several media sources (Wings magazine for example) that provides a list of very reputable flying schools in Canada.

I do not think that you have much to worry about if you are concerned about point #1 - Flying Training in Canada. It's as good as anywhere else in the world. You just have to choose your school very carefully just like any other country. We do not have a monopoly on excellence by any means, and neither does any other country for that matter. Your risk is just the same as if you were planning on conducting your training in the UK or in France for example.

Hope that helps and good luck in your search.