PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wow it really sucks up here!
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2005, 09:02
Ross_11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So. Here I am all set to hike half the globe, all the way to Canada for Flight training…PPL…CPL… MIFR et all. And then I come across this post! I actually took the time to read all of your posts (other than those with a hint of personal Vendetta !), and at the end of it all, have a very different perspective! A scary one, to say the least!
Not that it makes a huge difference to me; I only intend to get my training and then get the hell back to my country! But I guess, ‘research’ before you plunge in with both your feet, in an industry as cyclical as this one, is an understatement!
The few disturbing posts here include ones which mention that Wannabe Jet ‘stars’, use instruction as plain time building ‘process’, continue to fly dual with a trainee pilot even when he’s ready to solo! These, I understand, are localized rather than general happenings?
People tell me, if I continue researching, I’ll never get started. But tell me, what does one do when he gets to such a post…..with all his savings at stake…..with high standards on mind!
I have absolutely no qualms against nationalities, neither do I have any intention to offend anyone with his/her choices, opinions, …or anything else….prior to what I’m about to put across. My sole intention is:
1. Love what I do and a career as a commercial pilot is close if not ‘it’.
2. Get quality flying training, as that is what gets you places, rather than ‘where’ you’ve done it all.
3. Have a time restraint; We don’t get younger, besides, at 27 it’s rather tempting to jump the gun and get on with it, having learnt that a fair possibility exists, to find a 18yr something at the helm of a 747!
4. Have every intention to be connected to aviation on a global platform (post ATPL blues), rather than restrain myself to aviation in my own country content on a simple but reasonably affordable life!
5. Have a limited budget, but just sufficient to pull off training in OZ rather than cheaper Canada. A degree approach though, in either place, is beyond me; though I intend to get it sometime in the future.

I gather from this forum that a Canadian license, holds lesser value, on a global platform. PLEASE correct me where I stand corrected! A EU license, on the other hand holds greater value regards standards of training, but has a huge cost attached to it. Training in the US doesn’t even seem an option; they’re ready to shoot you out of the sky, at the slightest opportunity, that’s if you were even allowed to start flight training!...or even given a VISA to do so!! That leaves OZ….the one option, that I don’t know much about, except better quality and standards.

There are pros and cons to every place; AGREED. But, I admit, I would really hate turning back, after a rough deal and a negative bank balance, to advise others, “if I could go back, I’d do it like this..or that”

So. Here’s the dilemma!
There’s a lot been said about the sad state for pilots in Canada. But how about the flying training… really? As mentioned earlier, all I wanna do with it is, get my licenses, ratings and get the hell out! I also admit, that I am slightly biased towards doing my flight training in Canada, reason being it’ll allow me the luxury of financing with some to spare!...just in case.
On the other hand, throwing caution to the winds (regards financing), and sticking to higher standards of training (@OZ) seems a better option. They say, “cheaper’s not always the better!”

Anyone open to shed some light on this?....would be great, and goes w/o saying, extremely welcome!

Thanks in advance.