PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "000" hangin up on ya
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2005, 05:45
Northern Chique

PPRuNe's Paramedic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try being a dispacher and diciphering some of the addresses Telstra provides. Ive had to reroute calls back to NSW, and Vic on a few occasions. Then when every town has a railway hotel, or a "Tavern" it all adds challenges to the thankless job.

I sympathise with the residents having to put up with the noise factor, and I think 000 was prudent anyway. Star pickets wielded in the threatening manner to which many of the NT residents are witness to, occasionally ends up in the coroners court but more often than not we are called to take a suture job to the local hospital.

000 operators and dispatchers also have to dispatch to every call, including hoaxes. A few night shifts back, our ambulance was sent to 5 in 2 hours. All were lights and sirens response and we could not be diverted until the hoax was confirmed. The police have to put up with the same dodgy behaviour. The response time the good clean living folk get is stretched. Personally, I think its criminal behaviour.

Hey Voice, you dont miss us yet do you? We still have our own dispatchers. 1 for each 12 hour shift, then one for a few hours in the arvo... slight improvement on what it used to be. Still cant get to the dammed loo though!