PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Industrial Awards
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2005, 07:52
alky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My point Laurie, and thankyou for replying, is that the AFAP never tightened the noose enough on McGowan and IMPULSE in the early stages to put a stop to the momentum that was gathering. McGowan did everything in his power, with extremely questionable legality, to avoid his obligations to his employees, creditors and the ATO.

The merger between OXLEY and IMPULSE was a no brainer. Simple transmission of business legislation covered that as well as all the efforts over the years by McGowan in changing company names again and again to attempt to cover his tracks.
Impulse remained a respondent to the award and reluctantly admitted that fact in the commission after much persuasion, but it was all too late for the retrenched by then in terms of re employment, because the pilot contracting companies had been formed and Impulse no longer employed any pilots other than the CP and C & Ts to maintain the AOC in its’ name.

We still had a shot at recouping tens of thousands of dollars in entitlements owed, but they went unpaid because the AFAP were too wrapped up in sorting out this ‘shonky’ shareholding arrangement, all to no avail. I personally could have done with that money.

I could have gone to DEWR, but at the time I wasn’t aware that it was a necessary alternative. I blindly accepted the federations course as the best option with NO advice otherwise.

A few more resources thrown at Impulse may very well have turned the tide here. But the AFAP was too weak to have any influence on this case and I doubt much has changed since then. If the feds can’t stop something as detrimental to conditions of pilot employment as this happening, then what purpose do they serve their members.

Yes you got your seniority list, however, I suspect that had more to do with the exit of McGowan and the arrival of Qantas as owner, than any influence the Feds had on the situation.