PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rotorway Corner
Thread: Rotorway Corner
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2001, 17:08
SPS

Nothing new to add (although I have only flashed thru' the thread) but I'll just say this;

I really like the looks and most of the design of the Rotorway. Its stylish and affordable. It flies well by all accounts.

There was a well-documented main rotor blade
delamination in UK (fatal)some 3-4 yrs ago but I think it unfair to blame blade design or construction. Apparently the Heli had been left outside during the winter and flown with less regard for ice melt/expansion damage than was prudent. However, Rotorway made blade mods. as a reaction.

The report should still be on the UK CAA
site, if you don't have the address it can be reached through my website.

It has been said to be a pig to build PROPERLY and that put me off a little.
I would never consider flying one built by someone else so buying a completed one is a non starter for me.

I dislike the idea of a chain driven gearbox.

What really finished off my aspiration to build one (I'm an ex-motor engineer) is that awful, ill concieved relay belt to belt to belt to belt contrivance of a tail rotor drive system. It belongs in an 18th century textile mill. I could never fly it and feel safe. The chance of one of the many throwing its toys out of its pram is just too much.

The earlier model, The 'Scorpion' is simliar but unclothed, no skin around the tail. All of that friction causing, power sapping rubbery stuff was on show for all to see. NOT good to watch!

One of my friends bought one and tried to convince me that I should teach him to fly it. My phone went out of order for weeks... He sold it and bought an R22.

Rotorway, when you bin that belt system and use a shaft you will regain my interest.
When the chain goes after it I'll likely buy one.

I still like the look of it, I just won't buy it or fly it.

F.R. does need a little challenge now and then, it,s healthy, good for him and all of us in turn. Why don't you go for it Rotorway?