PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R22 Corner
Thread: R22 Corner
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2001, 19:01
Lu Zuckerman

To: RW-1

Do you want to shut me up? If so, please do the following

Ask these three questions of the R22 mechanics at Volar. Then, come back on to this thread.
Better still, print the questions and hand them to the mechanics. That way there will be no confusion or no influence by you in phrasing the questions.

1) In learning about gyroscopic precession or the same phenomenon as taught in the UK or Oz did they use the Robinson system as a demonstration or, did they use a Bell system as a means of explaining the subject?

The reason I ask this is because there are at least two websites that are the home pages of two Robinson dealers and flight schools. These websites have a very good explanation of how a helicopter flies. They have excellent pictures of Robinson helicopters and the major elements of those helicopters. They show pictures of Bell and Robinson rotorheads and they then go into the subject of gyroscopic precession.
Although the preceding text on the website(s) dealt with a Robinson rotorhead they explained gyroscopic precession by using a Bell system as an example. The two systems are different

2) In teaching the rigging process how did they explain the differences in the positioning of the Robinson blades as opposed to those of a Bell helicopter and, how did they rectify what they taught about gyroscopic precession as related to the positioning of the blades?
3)
I assume they taught that the precession phase angle was 90 degrees and yet the Robinson blades are disposed 18-degrees from the respective axes during the rigging process. What did they tell you about where the blade disc would dip if the cyclic was pushed forward from the rigged neutral position?

Please provide your thoughts on this following paragraph.

When the Robinson accelerates forward the pilot will counter the transverse flow effect by adding left cyclic. This is in addition to the left roll caused by the 18-degree offset. When he passes through the transverse flow effect he moves his cyclic to the right. In doing this he is reestablishing the helicopter in forward flight as opposed to rolling left. Is there a possibility that in the process of moving the cyclic to the right he is not only recovering from the transverse flow effect he is also countering the effect of the left roll induced by the offset? This is why I asked if in the certification process that they used a stick plotting board, then they would have noted this problem.

Please perform the following test (Providing it does not compromise flight safety).

RW-1 here is something you can demonstrate since you like flying on the edge. Lift off with your cyclic in the rigged neutral position. Do not move it laterally. Push it forward and fly through the transverse flow effect. The helicopter should roll to the right but don’t move the cyclic. When you are through the transverse flow effect, let me know which direction the helicopter is flying. Or, try this. With the cyclic in the rigged neutral position lift off in a hover and hover taxi the helicopter by moving the cyclic straight forward on the rigged neutral centerline. Do not move it off of the rigged neutral centerline.

If after accomplishing the above please let me know the results. This also goes for the rest of you R22/R44 pilots participating on this forum and on this thread.

One final note. Instead of constantly referring to what Frank Robinson said in his reply why don’t you respond to the points I made in disproving his statements about the 90-degree Vs 72-degree pitch horns? You seem to completely ignore my points and simply say that I am wrong because I disagree with what Mr. Robinson stated in his reply. I called them Bull S**t and you said I was a Bull S****er

------------------
The Cat