PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Industrial Awards
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2005, 06:39
Erin Brockovich

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think for the AFAP it’s a matter of picking the battles they can win at the moment. It doesn’t make much sense to go up against companies that are not respondents to the GA Award where it is not common rule. Let’s concentrate our efforts to where the GA Award is common rule. There the AFAP has some legal might.

NAC was a great success story of what pilots and union representation can achieve but, ultimately it is up to the pilots. I hear that some of the new casual pilots at NAC are still working for free, not because the company won’t pay them accordingly but because they won’t put down hours worked or duty on their time sheets. Having said that, I believe NAC are the best paying non-turbine GA company in the NT.

The rest of the companies are either close to the GA Award, still in the dark ages or paying cash. It has to be the pilots that approach the AFAP for representation, not the other way around. However, every pilot should be made aware that discreet representation is available to them at very little cost. If more pilots become members, more could be helped.

It is up to us. Saying that there will always be someone out there that is willing to degrade conditions just makes it worse. It condones those who are doing it.

Lets all start by doing something about pay and conditions of the companies we’re in. At least where the GA Award is common rule. Then we can pressure the other States to follow suit. Eventually the GA Award can be overhauled to meet current living standards. Sh#t, flying might even be a viable profession.

If an operator in NSW is not a respondent to the award, then what are the options apart from departing for another job, do the employees have.
Drshmoo, it starts by sticking together.