PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Industrial Awards
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2005, 17:37
Capt Snooze

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wishtobflying

What you are looking at is simply the facts of what various people should be paid at this moment in time. Nothing more. Nothing less. The most important thing right now is to ensure that people are actually paid these amounts.

No-one has said that they are fair or equitable. No-one has suggested that they provide a reasonable recompense for the work performed, or for the effort involved in achieving the qualifications required. No-one has suggested that they cannot be improved. I doubt very much that there was any particular reasoning behind the perceived discrepancy in the relationship between categories that you highlight. They are simply the result of a lengthy negotiation and legal process involving the AFAP, who represent some of the pilots in this country, and representatives of some of this country’s aviation employers. Doubtless the AFAP tried to get more, and the employer groups tried for less. Subsequent sets of negotiations may produce different relationships between employment categories.

They do however represent the minimum wages for all pilots in some states, and probably the majority of pilots in the others.

Let’s at least have people paid what they are legally entitled to, which is not happening in a large portion of the industry now, and worry about ironing out the perceived inequities in the detail later.

Snooze

(Disclaimer: not a member of, nor an apologist for the AFAP, one of the diaspora)

Thank you Snooze. I hope you don't mind me bolding your last two paragraphs?

Woomera

Last edited by Woomera; 6th Aug 2005 at 05:20.