PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Industrial Awards
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2005, 02:42
Lawrie Cox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilot Industrial Awards

It has been a while and I am entertained from time to time reading the pages of PPRUNE. I will make one thing very clear from the outset I will not post under a false name to hide my identity and what I publish is based upon fact.

The Awards covering pilots are published on our web page for all to see www.afap.org.au . These particular awards are the legal safety nets for pilots. In Victoria, Northern Territory and Australian Capital Territory they apply to any pilot and employer as they are ‘common rule’ documents. In all other states it will depend upon the company being a respondent or what we call a successor to the company who is already named.

The base rates are as follows:

Fixed wing single engine $29,182.00
Fixed Wing Multi engine $35,116.00

Helicopter
Single engine $40,448.00
Multi engine $43,344.00

If you are a casual then the hourly rates are:

Fixed wing single engine $45.60 per hour
Fixed Wing Multi engine $54.87 per hour

Helicopter
Single engine $66.16 per hour
Multi engine $70.85 per hour

As a permanent employee you also get other conditions such as 6 weeks (42 days) annual leave, Payment up to $1000.00 to purchase Loss of Licence insurance, meal allowances, sick leave etc. Your hours of work give you two days off in seven and the rest is in line with CAO part 48.

The Federation works for its members we are not perfect and have never claimed to be. We do not always win but we certainly do not always lose. If a pilot wants help in recovering their entitlements as a member it costs nothing for someone who joins we will provide assistance to enable you to claim back but we will not represent you in those circumstances. For everybody else there is the Department of Workplace Relations office in each State or pay for an experienced industrial lawyer.

Ultimately it is up to you if you want to be a professional pilot do not prostitute yourself as some do (John in The Australian today). The above is your minimum legal entitlement I cannot force you to take it but if you don’t the only winner is the crooks in our industry

Lawrie Cox
Manager – Industrial Relations
Australian Federation of Air Pilots
[email protected]