PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scotia, time to vote
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2001, 04:55
Jiff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

To Roundwego,

Roundwego said :
"The problem is now the demographic profile of the existing workforce and aquisition of quality replacements. Few experienced ex mil guys are coming into rotary civi life. Very few good onshore heli jockeys want to go offshore. North Sea numbers have been kept up by taking on self improvers who by definition have got their qualification by having a big wad of dosh. Several have done it because they weren't that bright at school and it was a cool way to get into a "glam" job. Others did it "cos it looked fun". As long as they had the money and a persevering flying school they would eventually reach the minimum standard to pass the CPL(h) exams".

You wouldn't be ex mil would you?
Maybe there is another side of the coin when it comes to describing "self improvers", you could have said something like "the average self improver has the following qualities".

1. In most cases has worked hard for a long time to get the dosh.
2. Has a good understanding as to the value of the equipment they are working with and doesn't have the attitude "Never mind its not mine and the government can pay for it".
3. May be they were overqualified when they applied to HM forces for a flying position.
4. Doesn't speak with a plumb in there mouth and has a lot of common sense.

etc, etc,

This is not intended to be a "who's better, mil or civ" discussion, that's been done before and the outcome is usually even, with maybe some roles being more suited to each respectively.
From my experience in the RN I got to fly with some of the most articulate, brilliant people I have ever meet but unfortunately I also got to do the same with a few moronic, ignorant snobs.

So Roundwego, by "definition" is it really a good idea to stereo type a group of people?

Jiff