PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OzJet flies into Victoria, from SA
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2005, 11:30
pullock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Gaunty,

Firstly at the inside trading thing - it is my understanding that he bought shares in a company that was awarded a decent contract by Telstra. If I am wrong then please correct me.

It seems to me that most Australians equate a little inside trading like this to major fraud that hurts the little people, and you would seem to be of this opinion
Telstra wasn't exactly one of those penny dreadfuls beloved of dodgy bros entrepreneurs who plunder the widows and orphans piggy banks.
. His actions as a director by purchasing a third parties shares did not adversely effect either the third party, nor Telstra, nor anyone else for that matter. Just because Qintex and HIH failed spectacularly under poor corporate governance, doesn't mean that a little third party inside trading is the crime of the century. What it really means is that people don't understand a damn thing about it!! Personally I think a far greater crime is feathering ones nest whilst in the position of CEO by selling the hoarse to buy a new saddle, but funnily enough that one is legal. Compared to a police man shooting an innocent guy in the head eight times in a subway inside trading is minor as well, but I bet you will find that the cop gets off whilst the inside trader has been hung from a very public cross. Both were in a position of trust. There is a concept of natural justice that the punishment should fit the crime. In this case, where nobody at all was disadvantaged by the crime, it seems somewhat over the top to crucify someone for taking the opportunity to make some profit. Oh and you think that Telstra don't take advantage of disadvantaged people.............you obviously don't have much to do with the telecommunication industry, where Telstra don't have such a great reputation for being the nice guy. Did you miss the disproportionate increase in line rental over the last two years ??

Oh and by the way - I couldn't stand Vizard as a comedian one little bit, but I think that punishing him for being an erkful personality in this way is just too much. Imagine what Rove is in for in years to come

Re Ozjet,

I have always enjoyed your posts, thinking that you are a well informed and unbiased comentater, but I think I see your QF spots coming out

As a consumer of airline services, would love to see another operator entering the market, as the current marketplace post Ansett (no I have never worked for Ansett but I have traveled Ansett and QF business a LOT) is not one that provides very much quality of service due to a lack of competition. There seems to be a mindset against the Stodart thing in Australia - I don't follow sport and therefore don't understand this. It is simply my understanding that the marketplace could well do with a carrier that will provide a premium service at a decent price, rather than a premium service at a price that ensures that there are always business seats available for staff

Every airline including the great QF requests government assistance and grants from state governments to assist with startup costs. I simply think that it is short sighted that SA aren't taking yet another opportunity to attract business yet again. Personally, if I was wanting to start a corporate hub style operation I would head to Adelaide as it's Australia’s cheapest mainland city in terms of infrastructure and labor costs, yet it from Adelaide that corparates are flocking in droves because the SA government doesn't offer the carrots that the other states do - particularly VIC. Remember that VIC's economy was STUFFED some years ago, and what the remedy was - attracting money to the state by offering substantial incentives to business there, specifically attracting the cream of business and events (remember the grand prix??) from SA. SA lost through bad government.

Re CASA being slow - it's just a fact of life - I recall Virgin had the same problems trying to get an AOC. CASA aren't easy to deal with on AOC's. The incumbents enjoy the protection afforded them by barriers to entry, but there is always a way around it - just look at history - if you employ people with CASA expertise to assist your AOC application then it has a far greater chance of getting up first time - just like asking a banker to help with a loan application.

I hope OZjet gets up, and if not I hope Singapore come in, and if not I hope someone else enters, so that I can travel nicely without having to go the expense of chartering a business jet.