PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tigers for Australia
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2001, 11:33
w_ocker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

its underpowered. it isnt inter operable with ANY american forces. it isnt marinised. we have to pay R and D for hellfire if we are to have it. it isnt proven. we will have to plug into the french/german trg and supply system, or else develop our own from scratch. the french - apparently- will cease supply of parts if we employ the aircraft in a way that is contrary to their desires (as I have heard occured with the mirage during vietnam). the contract was won because eurocopter promised to build a factory in qld to construct 50 or so eurocopter acft a year and sell to...what market? no idea. sure, it might be nice to give someone other than the americans a go, but in reality, we never operate with the french or germans. our whole defence strategy is based on close co-operation with the yanks. so when I land on a yank ship or at a yank farp needing fuel, re-arm or (god help me) parts, they will not be able to provide a thing! I wonder if our electronic equipment will even talk to theirs?
Yes, finally a decision was made. But it is THE WRONG DECISION! Ask anyone around here (ie the blokes who have to fly and operate with the thing) and you'll hear a similar story. Very disappointing!