PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - University or CPL?
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2005, 13:38
ATP_Al

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting your frozen ATPL will cost a LOT more than £22,595! Once you have your PPL you will have to complete the ATPL exams and do some hour building. You need 150hrs total and a night rating before you can start CPL/IR training. Add to this the cost of living whilst you complete your training and you're looking at least £35,000-£40,000 if you pass everything first time.

I'd never flown in any capacity until I got to university. I did a degree completely unrelated to aviation (biology) and when I realised I wanted to fly for a living I thought long and hard about giving it up to start training. In the end, I decided to apply myself fully to my studies and leave the flying for a couple of years. That proved to one of best decisions I ever made.

The university experience helped me get through my ATPL exams and flight training, and at the interviews I've had so far all the recruiters seemed impressed that I'd stuck at my course and come out with a good degree. You need something extra in this industry!

Hope that helps

Al