PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merger with SAS
Thread: Merger with SAS
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2001, 10:19
Nick Figaretto

Uuuups! Gotta be a little bit more precise in my posts!

The issue here was not what kind of seniority an SC pilot will have in SAS, compared to a pilot who has been in SAS all the time. The issue is the seniority compared to a BRA pilot.

Quote: "Through negociation a DEAL was made..."
-Yes, you are right, and that deal is, for all practical purposes, a merge of the seniority lists.

Maybe my last post gets clearer if I don't use the word "lose":

Through the combilist, SC pilots have up to 8 years "SC seniority" that are not valid in SAS. Therefore it is likely that it would be hard for them to accept it if the BRA pilots take with them all their "BRA seniority" to SAS.

We have a similar situation with the LIN pilots. They will probably also demand to get their 5 years seniority "back," if BRA pilots take all theirs with them. (I thought it was three years, but I stand corrected.)

The reason why I took up that issue, is that it is my impression that BRA pilots should not have too high hopes of getting all their seniority with them IF a merge with SAS happens somewhere down the line. I think Nite_Flite's post also indicates that...?

Quote: "...which works great for both companies."
-See the topic "Vi vil ha mere penger..." in Scandinavian Forum.

Quote: "Question: How can you lose something that is not yours in the first place?"
-I would imagine a BRA FC who has worked for BRA for 30 years, being an FC for the last 20 or so, would consider a place in the left seat of a B737 as "his in the first place".

If I understand you guys correctly, wat you are saying is that if he loses his position, he should blame the BRA management for leaving the company "up sh*t creek without a paddle", and not the SAS pilot unions.

...And then I kind of see your point.

And me? Being WAAAAAYYYYYY down on the seniority lists, I'm not the one most affected by this. To me a merge will be 33 new 737s, and about 400 new pilot positions. But I can see that it is much more to the story than just numbers.

And as High states it: Quote: "Whichever way this turns out somebody is not going to like the results. Which in turn will create an unpleasant working environment."

Nick

------------------
"I have found that alcohol taken in sufficient quantity produces all the effects of drunkenness."
~ Oscar Wilde