PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age 60
Thread: Age 60
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2005, 06:23
targaman

Avibridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suspect that most of the pilots that want the reitrement age raised have not had one wife and pretty much let ruined their finances on their own. The industry should not have to pay or be ruined by personal behavior or just bad luck. Keep the age where is belongs, where it has been for the last 40 yrs, and where it is safe for everyone!

I guess this comment was intended to stir some discussion, if not bring the blood to boil for a few.

What a fatuaous & judemental comment bus driver!

In enlightened and less bigoted countries such as NZ, one can fly professionally until one can either not pass the medical or not pass the proficiency test.

The age 60 rule (I am 61) is an Ass on discriminatory grounds alone.

It might as well be 40, 50, 70 or any other number of digits.

If a country has REAL discrimination laws then it is an easy (Costly) matter for an over 60 pilot (Or class action group) to challenge this ridiculous rule.

I have heard all the arguments as a past Unioun President, believe me.

Like:

Actuarial tables show higher health risks for over 60 pilots.
The facts is there is no large statistical pilot data base because of the Age 60 rule. Just as there were no data for the Wright brothers!
Insurer's policy restrictions.
Union rules.
Company rules.
Regulator rules.
Medical concerns.
Taking jobs from Junior pilots
Lowering pay scales.
Being unsafe.
Yadda Yadda Yadda.

In NZ the law on dicrimenation on the basis of age was challenged successfullly and pilots like my past air force instructor, Barry Gordon chose to fly over 60 as did several of his colleagues.

Last time I saw Barry a couple of years back he was flying night B737 freighter in NZ at 75+.

Of course flying past 50, 55, 60 or any age should be optional to the individual and is certainly not for me.

Some have good pensions.

Some have good lump sums schemes and good investments.

Some have their first wife.

Some have their third wife.

Some have no wife.

Some have a boy friend.

Some want to pursue a different career.

Some want to subscribe to the welfare dream of the 1930s and play golf or indulge in other hobbies or charities.

Some are judgementa bastards who have no place being in the close persoanl cnfines of a cockpit.

Some are religious zealots.

We are all unique and have different aims and aspirations for our lives.

As to the industry paying for older pilots to stay employed where exactly did that thinking come from?

Industry pays for services rendered. We are all units of labor no more no less.

As for safer? What about experience. The one attribute that younger pilots lack and can still be gained only one way. An industry of young guns? I think not.

Chok Dee
Aviation advisor (LOl)