PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff Happenings
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2005, 19:23
MerchantVenturer

Brunel to Concorde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WindSheer

As a pax I take a different view to the football supporter type of rhetoric some trot out in support of 'their' airport, and I don't mean you. But if you go to some threads re other UK airports you would be forgiven for thinking that airports are supported as passionately as the local football team.

I look upon airports as a facility for the public, a means of employment for many and an engine/mirror of the local economy or economies.

If I want to fly somewhere I will probably go to the nearest airport if the flight, price and timings are suitable. If not, I will look somewhere else and whether it is in Wales, the Midlands or London is of secondary importance to me.

Living in the Bristol/Cardiff region gives a passenger quite a choice. Apart from the airports serving these cities there are also BHX and LHR plus, especially for Bristol area people, EXT and even SOU.

My son often uses BHX for business, even though he lives in Bristol (he also flies frequently from there), because even though a flight to the detination he wants might be available from BRS the flight times can sometimes be inconvenient for him.

My Bristol neighbours regularly take their main summer holiday in the Spanish Costas but for the last four years have used CWL because the day/flight time suits them better than the one/s from BRS.

That is why I contend that as a customer I regard the Severnside airports (and beyond) as a complementary pool, and I am ready to take advantage of what suits me best on a particular occasion. Might that not also be the case with some Welsh travellers using BRS?

Finally, I'm sure you can answer this. How many stands has CWL currently got and how many could realistically be provided in the future? Thanks in advance for answer.