PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair hires FAA/ US B737 Captains via Brooksfield (merged)
Old 22nd Jul 2005, 20:54
eiriktheviking

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FAA Captains for Ryan

I have not seen any one say a word why they are recruiting for experienced Captains from the USA.
With aviation in EU being rather small versus the US, would it not be kind of hard finding guys that have got the experience to take the left seat right away. Have Ryan maybe had a hard time up-grading from within, with their high time FO's.
How many hours do you guys over in EU have before you upgrade. I believe it comes your way quicker than it does for the guys here in the US.
While United was still hiring I believe the hours for a White male to get on was just over 11000 total time, 5600 hours PIC on Part 121(B737, B727 DC9 or larger Jet) and 3 type ratings. Then after you get in you look at any where from 6 to 15 years before you upgrade. But, that is all about timing.
I have worked for a few US airlines and there have always been quite a few fellow Europeans at each place.
As the industry goes up and down, I have had to move around a little to put food on the table and provide for my family. I have done stints in Asia, Middle East and in Canada all with my "Worthless USA FAA Ticket". I believe in going where the job is to make a living, I will not pay for a type rating, or training, I never have and never will. So you guys that don’t like US FAA guys don't have to worry about me coming home to EU and corrupt your system with my experience.

Cheers