PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lbs and Inches V. Kg and Meters?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2005, 17:26
cl12pv2s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello,

Q. Who else apart from the Americans still use imperial units?

A. Myanmar and Liberia
Source

What if someone suggested (as I am now) that it is only out of stubborness and / or laziness that the Americans still use imperial units?

Afterall, the metric system is undoubtably more superior and efficient.

The amount of money it must cost various industries producing products with both systems...the amount of time it must take in schools teaching it...etc..etc.. Wasn't the Mars Rover demise a result of a Imperial / metric blunder?....I know of a story of a jet airliner that came a cropper to a similar lbs / kgs error.

While everyone who has replied in this thread so far has said,"Live with it!" I'm going to stick my neck out and say...

"When are the Americans (and world consumers) going to call for change? It makes no sense at all."

OK, so yes, as a pilot in today's day and age, I have to live with it. However, if people don't start putting pressure the folk who make the 'Imperial or Metric' decisions (i.e manufacturers, congress etc...) the farce (mixed systems) will continue.

At the end of the day, imperial units are all referenced from SI units anyway. Why bother with the extra step?

That's all.

cl12pv2s