PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow North Sea
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2001, 01:08
roundwego

Hello again 100%RPM.

Sorry if I got a bit heated with your first message on this subject but I have been around this game long enough to know what has done no good in the past.

Ref. your question "How can we help BALPA to put this case forward to UKOOA in a constructive manner?", it needs someone to do a bit of homework on demographic profiles, projected fixed wing recruitment rates, military manpower output etc. etc. over the next few years. If one assumes the North Sea flying rate is going to drop by 10% over the next 3 years (unless the oil industry can give a more educated guess) then it is should be reasonably easy to statistically demonstrate that there may not be enough pilots to service the North Sea oil industry. One can also report on the reducing cockpit experience levels which is likely to be the trend over the next few years. What does this do to the oil companies safety cases?

The constant drain of experience to the fixed wing world will also reduce the ability of the helicopter operators to promote quality people into management. (I am told from a reliable source that Scotia has already had difficulty filling certain management posts from within.) Many of the pilots who have left the North Sea were potential Chief Pilot material and above.

For the amount BALPA members pay in subscriptions, it would in my view be reasonable to expect the Association to provide a professionally researched and produced report for presentation to the oil industry.