PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - bmi pilots to call crewing at end of every duty day
Old 22nd Jul 2005, 10:01
Bart O'Lynn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ACBUS,

I work my ass off. Iam flexible with my employers. I dont suffer from any of the afflictions in your post re family health etc.
Maybe if you suffer from any of those it may be a personnality, pshycological or genetic problem, and not your company's. Take a year off and find out.

If you wanted such a stable predictable existence why on earth did you become a pilot. Didnt you read the small print . Over staffing is a sure way to a permanant case of no staffing.

Im not for free flying or employers taking the pish , rather a mutually beneficial arrangement of flexibility tempered by a sensible proffessional approach.

It never fails to baffle me why people turn into such office clerks having worked so hard (in most cases) to get to the front of an aircraft.

Then again i came to the Uk system having already formed my personal philosophy and passion for flying in a less jobsworthy enviroment and wasnt poisoned by the elitism of it all. Usually characterised by the "how dare you , i'm a captain " brigade.Closely followed by the how hard we work gang and the "youve disturbed my rest" mob , said while wide awake watching telly.

Almost as laughable as the fireman claiming to be hard working heros 24/7 while still mangaing to sleep, run second businesses, and master the finer point of pool. (had to stick that one in)

Edited to add: those of you that are dissollusioned with bmi rostering to a point where you are ready to walk will get a rude awakening when you do unless you go to BA where you can be a stable number who is more tired than a bmi pilot.

Some of the selfish ,childish, jobsworthy, unproffessional attitudes toward their companies do not bode well if those same attitudes migrate to operating aircraft. Or is the term unprofessional only valid when someone is critising a mistake or actions of a Captain who screwed up.

Right back to reruns of trisha, I hope they dont disturb my rest.

Last edited by Bart O'Lynn; 22nd Jul 2005 at 10:17.