PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Solo Students Weather Limits
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2005, 07:52
goaround7

...and some FIs are just callous, stupid, money grabbing gits.

Viz: was flying two crew in a very marginal conditions along a VFR route following four rows of power lines to a local venue. Was considering aborting as the mist was down to within fifty feet of the tops of the power lines and viz about 200 metres (in fact, did land 15 minutes further on as it got even worse and waited it out).

In response to my radio calls, I hear a call of another rotor wing coming the other way along the same route allegedly 500 feet higher (in the soup ?). I reply confirming my altitude and QNH and that we would remain to the north of the power lines, suggesting he flies to the south for obvious reasons. He agrees to this.

Thirty seconds later, co-pilot (flying) throws sixty degree bank turn to the left as a gyropcopter at the same altitude and on our side of the power lines (the north side) almost flies straight through the windscreen. Copilot puts us right side up and I ask the other guy what the hell he's doing and doesn't he know his QNH or his north from his south.

'Very sorry, ' he replies, 'I'm only a student on my second solo cross country.'

I politely questioned the judgement of his instructor and he quickly agreed maybe this wasn't a day for student cross countries...