PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair hires FAA/ US B737 Captains via Brooksfield (merged)
Old 16th Jul 2005, 04:41
Ignition Override

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Snoop

If it is that unbalanced, then the Ryanair issue is certainly not fair.

Our US pilots want to avoid any possibility of allowing "cabotage" into the US, foreign pilots flying point to point, all inside the US. Pan Am had a hub years ago in Germany. They never should have been allowed to operate there-it was not fair to German pilots. This country should not use the horrible conflict in the 1940s to justify that, or a hub in the Pac. Rim. Any justification can not hide some hypocrisy on our part. A slightly different situation was flying cargo (DHL?) DC-8s from Brussels to various cities. The legalistic arguement is that the flights were between two countries, or more. Off topic, but one of our FAs is married to a French guy-did the French reject the constitution mostly to embarass Chirac? Never mind. This is naiive, but can a European constitution prevent any of this?

I chatted briefly with a Ryanair flight attendant crew (wearing yellowish scarves) in Milwaukee about a year ago. The Lead Purser admitted that she lived in Dusseldorf, Germany. One of our furloughed pilots worked briefly as 320 FO for Ryanair, from St. Louis to the Caribbean (only turn-arounds). He seemed to indicate that most pilots he came across were furloughed from US airlines.

I don't blame you guys one bit, for being upset if your aviation authorities allow numerous pilots from here to 'whitewash' their licenses and work there. One guy who was on our jumpseat months ago might have stated that some limited number had already been based in Ireland for a while, but I can't remember for sure. They might have had a rent subsidy or such, but it was only a quick chat. There are a limited number of foreign guys/gals working for my company who have been in the US for a while. They are from the Netherlands, Sweden, the Middle East, at least one guy from England. A regional affiliate at one time had quite a number, who were somehow sponsored. Some went to my company.