PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas; the thread.
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2005, 14:21
GalleyHag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Marsha

I certainly feel for you but you should know better than to think Qantas would give a dam. It is disappointing that long serving employees are not given the opportunities to move into permanent position as cabin crew but that is just the nature of the company at present.

I suppose the same could be said about MAM casuals. They are endorsed on all aircraft except 747 and fly everyday representing the airline however they must also attend interviews or even open days if thats what QF wanted them to do to obtain a position within the airline. So you are not alone.

This is not a new thing and dont take it personally although after many years of service and getting a somewhat brief taste of flying it is a bitter pill to take.

HOWEVER, there are options. AirNZ are recruiting for Long Haul crew. Short Haul crew operate those tasman services you are referring to and the possible changes that go along with that. You need to get your application in for Long Haul, wait for your staff travel to kick in (or hop onto a friends at QF) and start commuting. NZ is an easier commute than Perth afterall. I know you dont want to hear it but Jetconnect flying QF long Haul is another option. As you know the salary and conditions are appalling BUT you can start your flying career and see how things pan out and look at what options are available to you in a couple of years. AKL crew are being interviewed for BFirst positions at present so there is another opportnity to progress your career.

Things tend to go in circles but im not holding my breath for permanent recruitment to open up with Qantas in Australia anytime soon, but you never know. So if you have your foot in the door at least you can sort of guarantee yourself an interview should it arise.

Try to stay positive and 37.5 is not old in my initial ground school there were 2 people 50+ so dont sweat the small stuff.

lowerlobe

30 years flying with QF? If so good on you for positing information that directly effects so many crew. After 30 years I would have thought most people would be over all this industrial crap, but yourself and other senior cabin crew that post on this thread prove me wrong. Good on you for being supportive and taking the time, its not only appreciated by me but a lot of valuable information is gained for current crew and wannabe's.

Peanut Pusher also makes a valid contribution so I would be disappointed if you refrained from posting to much.