PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair hires FAA/ US B737 Captains via Brooksfield (merged)
Old 14th Jul 2005, 16:25
unfazed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wingandaprayer

While the rest of this discussion degenerates into a nationalistic slagging match I would like to help you if I can with some general info.

When it comes to application forms the main aim is to list the qualifications that are relevant for the job and keep it simple HOWEVER there are normally a couple of "open" questions which are designed to test your reasoning and motivation for the job. This is where many people stitch themselves up without realising it. Questions such as "Why do you wish to join airline XYZ", "Explain why you are interested in this role" etc -

My advice is to keep it simple ! List reasons as main bullet points with some explanation as well (but keep it simple).

If you meet the mandatory experience and qualifications then you should get an interview HOWEVER - Employers will normally check current employer for a reference (that could be an unknown variable negative/ positive or neutral)

Some examples of a "read between the lines" negative reference "Joe has very high standards and I am sure that he will eventually find an employer who will match his demands "

Bottom line is that applications for these jobs are many and the jobs are few, most jobs are networked via friends or chance meetings (right place right time). The aim is to get your application NOTICED so

1 - Do not be the "grey man" - Be concise but grab their attention with your responses (but leave them wanting to know more)
2 - Get out and about and hand deliver where possible so that you can meet people and turn that bit of paper into a positive experience
3 - Network with friends and let them know that you are in the market
4 - Enjoy the current job and forget about how naff the money is - If it really annoys you that much then ask for a meeting and try to re-negotiate a better deal (at least then your consciense will be clear when they get reference requests for you)

Hope this helps, I suspect that you are already propably doing some of the above. I hope I haven't annoyed you with my earlier posts but I was hoping to make the point that you are always in control because they are your life decisions.

Best of luck and I hope that you get a better job soon !