PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Four Corners
Thread: Four Corners
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2005, 15:58
bushy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gaunty
The impossible is happening. I can actually discern some wisdom in your latest postings. I agree with much of what you are saying.
The GA industry is ailing for a number of reasons. The economics are wrong, mainly because of govt interference and distortions.
I have to compete with other companies that are in reciept of grants, subsidies, concessions, dispensations, exceptions, protection, approvals, and selective regulation. "Not for profit" organisations are granted charter and RPT AOC's and are propped up by public subscription. ( I do not mean the RFDS)
While that happens, there will always be a shortage of money, except for the chosen few, and "legal and political cunning"will be more important than business or aviation ability.
The genuine bush pilots are being undermined by a flood of wannabies from the coastal flying schools. It is not fair on them or anyone.
It's an obscene lottery, where nearly everyone loses except the major airlines. (just like the rest of the aviation industry.)
This problem can be fixed by having the major airlines select candidates with an interview, aptitude tests etc, and an agreement, before they train, so everyone knows where they are going, or not going, GA can reduce it's accident rate by having a stable, dedicated and experienced pilot group.
Or recruit cadets. Maybe the major airlines could run their own flying schools and not have 600 flying schools churning out a flood of young pilots who soon become angry, negative people.(look at the posts on Prune)
There's more, but that's enogh for tonight.