PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - cross country requirement for currency
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2005, 11:56
dmjw01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These discussions can get very confusing if you're not using the correct terminology. The official terminology uses two very similar words ("renew" and "revalidate") to mean distinctly different things, and unfortunately Paris Dakar may have used the wrong word (and EddieHeli certainly has)!

Assuming the "long layoff" (s)he refers to means that the rating had already expired, PD is talking about renewing the SEP rating, not revalidating. Revalidation is what you do within the validity period of your rating in order to extend its validity for another 2 years. Renewing is what you have to do after your rating has expired - which will of course be a skills test.

There is no requirement whatsoever for any of your hours to be "cross country" if you are revalidating by experience (i.e. doing all the necessary flying time). All you need is 12 hours total, of which at least 6 hours must be in command, 12 take-offs and landings, a 1 hour flight with an instructor, and the signature on the ratings page - all within the 12 months leading up to your expiry. (Have I missed anything out? Probably!)

If you are renewing (outside the validity period of your rating) by having another skills test then you do have to demonstrate the ability to navigate during the test.

As a general comment though, why have you not done much cross-country time? I think you should get out there and fly to new and interesting places before you get bored with your PPL.