PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Solo Students Weather Limits
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2005, 00:18
cl12pv2s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello,

For any pilot not yet rated in the aircraft.

FAA Regulations: 61.89

(a) A student pilot may not act as pilot in command of an aircraft:
(6) With a flight or surface visibility of less than 3 statute miles during daylight hours or 5 statute miles at night;
(7) When the flight cannot be made with visual reference to the surface; or
(8) In a manner contrary to any limitations placed in the pilot's logbook by an authorized instructor.

These regulations are the general regulations for any student pilot (Fixed or Rotary or balloon etc...)

The last line above (8) is the important one. In this line authority is given to the instructor to impose legal requirements which may be in addition to 6 & 7.

I would start my students with a 5 SM viz, 15kt wind limitation, and no clouds below 1000'.

Note that the general topic of number 8 is not specified. There is nothing to stop an instructor (in theory) demanding anything of the student...."Student must have a cigarette and coffee before solo flight!" or "Student must wear flat sole shoes!"

In addition to the logbook limitations, there is always the 'weather on the day' that may make me less inclined to authorise the flight. Winds 06G12 is more difficult than a steady 15kt wind. OR crosswinds at the ramp make for wobbly setdowns close to other helicopters and people. OR clouds forecast to build rapidly over the next hour or so.

For general hire of aircraft

There are also differing limitations (imposed by the school for any solo hire of aircraft) for different types of flight. For example, solo cross country-6SM / clouds 2000', local area-5SM / clouds 1500, and pattern-3SM / clouds 1000', cross-country (night)-10sm / clouds 4000'.

Hope this helps.

cl12pv2s

Last edited by cl12pv2s; 14th Jul 2005 at 00:33.