PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sea Jet
Thread: Sea Jet
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2005, 22:48
FB11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JF

Again I have learned something new. Some questions/observations:

1. The GR7A/GR9A does have JPT limits. 780 dry/800 wet. I'm not sure if again, based on the engine life logic, if that's an artificial limit. The obvious point from the numbers is that this is an engine that doesn't need the water on board, just the access to the rating (the 20 degrees extra available negated by the weight of the water in the first place.) We only carry the water for the CofG issue because unlike the AV-8B, we bolted the 107 in as an afterthought and require the weight of water to stop us running out of front puffer. I believe (am currently away from the jet) that the CofG expansion is being done now or may have already been done by Hargs and team.

2. The current engine does get hot. People have reached the limit. It's been done in ground effect too often back at the ship causing numerous pilots to flag the JPT warning. This problem has been exacerbated by the FOD resistent blades which seem to create a heating effect on the engine that is not linear. Doing a perf hover at 1200lb fuel might show an RPM/JPT combo of 99.6/703. The next hover at 800lbs shows 98.4/703 - it really throws the calcs out. (At least the GR7 has a computer unlike the pencil and ODM on the FA2.) This is evident on both the GR7 and the FA2.

3. The issue, a real one, of the current limits and bring back is not the only reason for removing the Sea Harrier. Available weapons stations, defensive aids, handling with the bolt on AAR probe, limited fuel load, cockpit ergonomics and a rash of other limitations are the real reason that, without significant monetary inject, we can't move forward any more. Money will never fix some of the issues such as limited fuel.