PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA DEP training question
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2005, 10:02
Von Smallhausen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Shuttleworth,

I make it clear in my post that I’m new to the company. Therefore the reader can choose to disregard everything I have to say over someone with more time. I have nothing to gain from misleading anyone and all I say is an honest account of how I perceive my job at the moment, written in totally good faith.

Specifically,

“You have NO First Class entitlement as an F/O!”

Sure, I don’t have an ‘entitlement’ – I said First Class ID90s. According to the Staff Travel Policy Guide Ch 13 Part 3, I am entitled to purchase ID90s with First eligibility. Yes, the priority’s fairly low (F47) and they are standbys with the usual associated risks. If on the day you don’t get in to first/club the difference in fares will be refunded.

“Once a year, they offer a J ( if space available ) entitlement …”

OK, apologies. Having re-read, one could get the idea these were confirmed club seats. They are standbys, albeit with good priority. Thanks for the correction.

“Your nightstop will on average be 11hrs, maybe 12hrs"

Don’t know what fleet you’re on but that’s not my experience so far. The majority of mine have so far have been around 16hrs, with the odd 12 hour, the odd 31 hour (see below) and much in between.

“This made me laugh too ! sitting out in the sun outside our plush hotel whilst knocking back the beers….”

I never claimed, nor claim that this was the case on every nightstop. The fact remains though that last week I found myself in a lovely major European city on a day standover. Total time free of duty there was 31 hours, which I thought allowed time for a drink or two within the bounds of both the local law and common sense. The sun was shining, the hotel was exquisite, and we sat out surrounded by lots of holidaymakers who had probably paid a lot of money to do exactly what I was getting paid for at that instant. It wasn’t the first time either. Matter of fact, I was laughing too as we joked and drank while the sun went down...

Maybe if one has been doing this sort of thing for years and/or maybe if its all one has every known (note I say ‘one’, Shuttleworth) then the novelty wears off, but relative to where I’ve come from (12 hour night Larnaca returns for considerably less £££), it feels pretty special to me right now . (Yes, I said right now - Maybe I’ll become all bitter and twisted as the years advance though I’ll certainly be trying trying my best not to).

Trietwentie’s original question concerned long-haul lifestyle. I apologise to him for the digression.

The sun’s shining outside and the forecast’s good.

I’ve said all I have to say for this thread.

Last edited by Von Smallhausen; 12th Jul 2005 at 10:20.