PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL exams - what are we paying for?
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2005, 06:59
woof

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forgive me lord for I am about to sin...................

Whilst I neither like nor dislike the way the exams are produced, there are a couple of conclusions I reached.

Firstly the breadth of the subject to be tested is mammoth. It must encapsulate the PA28 Flying instructor, the oil rigs helo and the would be 747 ace. In addition to this, it must conform to the standards of all of the other participating countries – point is, it’s bigger that the CAA.

Secondly and never forget this, the exams are nothing more than a selection process, a sift to weedle out those who are not committed or those who can barely walk and talk at the same time.

I too think that the exams could be better produced, but the CAA is a company which wants to make money and repro charts is a good cost cutter – not a convincing argument, but a sad reality.

I noted G-SPOT’s comment on more multi-crew HP&L, and in principle agree. However as a CRMI, this particular area is one that is better left to discussion and debate to get the best answers rather than academic answers. This way you arrive at a more informed answer that will stand you in good stead for the future.

My advice for what it is worth – grin and bare it. Extract the relevant info and forgo the rest.

Promise I don’t work for the CAA!