PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Four Corners
Thread: Four Corners
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2005, 08:25
turbinejunkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Left Hand,

I don't. I work in the same crap industry you do. I don't have a shiny-bum and I have done ALL the hard yards off my own bat entirely, having reached Regional Airline level through one thing - my own blood sweat and tears! I love flying and I despair over the **** conditions that we as pilots suffer.

Why should we invest $70,000 of our own money to be paid less than the Award which is chicken feed anyway? Not to mention all the study, recurrency and regular checking that we have to endure for the pleasure of doing so!

In response to your glib suggestion, I HAVE done what I can to try to change things in my own employment (get compliance out of shonky operators to pay the Award) but nothing has worked for me as I am just a lone voice. Too many are willing to jump into my spot and employers know it.

I AM doing something now: arguing for improvement for the benefit of the industry (not just for me but also for you). What are YOU doing to improve things? Are you prepared to make a worthwhile contribution or just mouth off at those who do?

My brave-new-world suggestion regarding the tertiary education requirement to join the industry is NOT meant to be an exchange for ability as a pilot or an indicator that the newbe pilot now knows it having completed some Uni course. Not at all.

Rather, the Degree concept is meant to be a tough HURDLE REQUIREMENT that atificially limits the number of pilots entering in this industry so that eventually as the supply side of the equation decreases causing the demand side (and therefore pay and conditions) to INCREASE.

Incidentally, better understanding of the theory of flight will also make for better pilots. A degree course can have both practical elements (all flying needed to obtain a CPL including multi-IFR and/or instructor rating) and all ATPL theory included.

This is a long-term strategy to improve pay and conditions - it won't happen overnight but if implemented WILL improve the industry overall in time.

As aviation is in the public interest, i.e. SAFETY, I propose that this becomes a government responsibility in the same way that universities (theory side) are primarily government funded. The individual will have to pay for his flying same as it is today.

However, what is different in my proposal to the way it is today is:
1) A candidate has a hurdle requirement to become a pilot;
2) Far less pilots come through the system each year due to the limited vacancies for courses.

A number of flying training schools would be forced to close over time. While this would be tough for them, they have been the prime cause for the sausage meat that has been pumped out for too long that has contributed to the pilot glut of today (and indeed tomorrow unless we act today).

Lobbying the IR Commission as a lone voice is pointless. Nothing will happen. The only way for things to change is for pilots to unite and say enough is enough and be prepared to strike for the benefit of all in the industry.

TJ