PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mountain Flying
Thread: Mountain Flying
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2001, 04:46
eden

Smile

Hello Roberto - Mountain Flying ..... I could talk for a long time about it, experiences, theory, Weather, Winds but it would become the posting from hell. I 've just been up in Scotland's (4000 footers) having a wee look around.

I have 3 years day /night SAR experience in the hills in Scotland and a smattering of Bosnia time.

I would be delighted to answer specific questions and I am sure that there will be many more flugeners who will be better equipped than I to play a part in answering your questions.

By way of a gentle intro - Firstly, start flying in the Mountains with people you know have a lot of experience within the Mountain range you wish to fly in. Then from there ENSURE you are very aware of local weather effects. This done - some ground reading prep is required perhaps a spell of refreshing DA & performance issues , Physiological effects (such as false horizons & disorientation) and before you get anywhere near the CUMULO GRANITE prep a route to fly and try to achieve a pre-planned number of training objectives in good weather conditions in consultation with you're experienced colleague.

Some other issues to be aware of will include(this is not the exhaustive list) -
1. Wind Patterns & Strengths / Demarcation lines
2. Escape Routes / Transit Flying/ Recce/Pwr Cx/Circuits/Approaches/Overshoot
Landings / Take off

3. Terrain - Pinnacles, Ridges & Saddles, Spurs, Ledges, Bowls, Valleys,

4. Snow Ops / icing / Turbulence
5. By way of telling you the obvious.... Know your limits and adjust your ambitions to suit them ..........NEVER TRY TOO HARD!! and if the conditions are marginal - retire to the bar and smile at the mountains telling them you'll see them another day.

I've touched on some of the areas you need to think about but not all ..... and I would be willing to discuss (by email or this forum) some of the more practical and theoretical aspects should you wish ....... with some assistance (no doubt) from the vast wealth of experience available.

regards

eden