PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIMAN DC-10 accident
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2005, 20:24
Dengue_Dude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The above article

Irrespective of the findings of this particular enquiry, I have flown with Captain Selim several times and had no misgivings about his experience or handling ability in those flights, in fact it was exemplary.

My report to the CAAB was clear that an ATTITUDE pervaded amongst certain Biman captains that they were invulnerable and inviolable. I named some names and this gentleman was not amongst them.

As for reports on 2nd Feb against him (by name), I hope is not a misquote of my report to the UK CAA and the Bangladesh CAAB, because (once more irrespective of the result) there are far worse than him flying within that company. They just DO NOT BELIEVE IT CAN HAPPEN TO THEM.

There are committed personnel within Biman who are desperate to introduce CRM and good management but who are powerless to act against a cadre of the self-serving, corrupt and well politically-connected.

It is to them I offer my sympathy and my support. Sadly I predicted this accident or one like very soon after I left. The photograph above is eloquent enough.

When a crew member calls for a Go Around FOUR times during an approach where the ROD got to 1500 fpm at 200 feet radio and is ignored by both pilots - one a trainer, it does not give one any confidence at all. Retrospectively, it was agreed a GA should have been carried out, perhaps that was the case here - we don't know.

It is inappropriate to comment on specifics here because the facts are not known and what is known is conflicting.

But as litmus paper to indicate the ethos of some of the crews it may well confirm a sad story.

I must admit I agonised long and hard before submitting the report in the first place and to some extent 'coming out of the woodwork' here. But as I said in the report :

"Biman as a company, do NOT wish to hear these observations. They have been flying this aircraft for 20 years and there’s nothing they need to learn about it and its operation. I truly hope that they are correct. If they are wrong, I fear it won’t be long before deaths result."

Thank whichever God you believe in everybody got out of this one.