PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advise For Students
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2005, 12:43
A333

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
People these days...

Do bus drivers need degrees? Do train drivers need degrees?

Sure they're not operating million dollar machines but you're missing the point that flying has more to do with practical rather than academic. General knowledge, leadership skills, etc. will definately help. But seriously, I doubt degrees give applicants a boost. If you actually do some research, most pilots DON'T have a degree.

Even if they did, they would have probably done it by distance education . The point now is you want to build hours, not study for a medical degree and look for a bl&#dy job in Broome afterwards.

IF degrees were so important to Qantas, why don't they send their cadets to Universities? Why don't any other airlines send their cadets to universities, airlines such as Cathay Pacific, Dragonair, etc.?

IF aviation degrees were really that important, why did UWS stop their aviation degree? I'll give you a moment to THINK ABOUT IT!!

... Because not much people do their course.

As I said before, degrees will give you something to fall back on!

If you give me proof and statistics that applicants with degrees go on top of the pile, then I will believe you. If you can give me proof that applicants with degrees are more wanted than those with hours hours hours, I will go and do a degree straight away. If you can give me proof that those with degrees make better decisions than those without degrees, I will do a degree straight away.

So... from what I see, you're saying that pilots that have a uni degree make better decisions than B744, etc. CAPTAINS who don't have a degree?

Anyway, I'm out... Take it easy!

PS. Read the thread again and you'll see this is more of a discussion not arguement, I did state that it depends on each own individual.