PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qouta system and rating paying
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2005, 00:24
Shrike200

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Again, I think Panthera has a point, and some people are being unnecessarily hard on him about paying for ratings. I can definately understand his frustration, which I have shared.

I really believe that the root cause of this is just too many pilots. You are feeling the symptoms of that. What has been said regarding the limitations of numbers of students in flight schools is a valid point, but will never be accepted by flight schools, who can't be denied their 'bread and butter'. I have personally instructed for over 1500 hrs (far more demanding than 'flying round and round in the circuit', for the many who are unfamiliar with instruction), and denying the instructors their experience would also be unfair.

I also know that it is not necessarily fair to deny anyone their chance to become a professional pilot, BUT consider other industries. Many proffesional careers have limitations of numbers. CA's, lawyers, engineers, doctors etc all have to pass 'bar' or review board sessions by senior members for progression to the higher levels, and these deliberately keep the numbers in those industries under control, to protect the industry. I believe it is important that the industry finds a balance in protecting the careers of those already involved, and allowing new people to become part of it. That is what many of these industry organisations are for. In aviation, nobody fulfils this function.

Further studies, and normally the initial courses themselves, are also often seriously restricted in terms of numbers. A family member of mine has just been accepted for a fairly prestigious Masters in Professional Management, a course which is restricted to just fifty applicants per year, no matter what. AND, they will go below that number if there are not enough applicants who meet the fairly demanding entry requirements. (That number is obviously not valid for pilots, I was just using it as an example) No such system exists in aviation, where just about anybody can go through with the whole thing if they have enough money.

I understand (subject to correction as usual) that the Indian CAA restricts the number of CPL's that can be passed per year. I believe that is a valid response to this kind of thing, if done correctly. Another idea would be a review board for progression to ATP, composed of senior members of different sectors of the industry. I know many would disagree, but thats just my opinion.

Whatever the case, I agree that there are too many pilots. I also believe the situation is more serious than some here would care to admit, and threatens the ability of many to progress. I would welcome comments from some senior people on this matter. Bear in mind the view from the top is not quite what we on the bottom are seeing!

Last edited by Shrike200; 2nd Jul 2005 at 07:08.