PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIMAN DC-10 accident
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2005, 16:30
forget

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reminds me - I was sat in Dhaka one Saturday evening years ago, in the 70's. We were expecting Pete R in from Singapore aboard a Biman 707. I thought I'd call the airport to get an ETA. When I mentioned the flight number the young lady simply said 'The passengers are alive and well', and slammed the 'phone down.

Turns out that said 707 had lifted off from Paya Lebar Singapore with just enough fuel to get to their next stop, Kuala Lumpur, about 40 minutes away.

They rotated and got to about 400 feet when all four quit as the fuel pumps became uncovered. The gear was up by then but the aircraft came down on the runway, light as a feather. Pete R reckoned he wouldn't have known he was back on the ground if it hadn’t been for the graunching noises. They stopped on the grass and everything went very quite. Pete decided to go forward to the flight deck. He got to the door and opened it. All three seats empty; DV windows open with ropes.

Peter decided to do things himself and I've still got this mental picture of him shepherding 60 or so Bengalis across Paya Lebar runway, to the coffee shop.

In the dark it took the crash crews 20 minutes to find the aircraft. The boss of the DCA went on record as saying 'We'd have found it very quickly had it been on fire'.

Pity about the Flight Engineer. He was found dead on the parapet of the crew hotel next morning with 'injuries inconsistent with a fall'.