PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wow it really sucks up here!
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2005, 14:37
Dockjock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Otterman,
By elitist, firstly I refer to the cost of training- availability of loans or not, it is clearly a barrier to entry, unless you are already from "money". Yes of course there will be exceptions, but I really don't think we can debate that a $100K bill for a commercial pilot license is very, very high. In light of the comparisons to Canada, where DOES that extra $60K or so go? Are you guys training on learjets ? Does it take 4 yrs to complete?! I do realize fuel is almost double the cost of N.A., but it sounds like a big, big tax grab over there. In any case...

I do think I misread your meaning for screening. I took it to mean psychometric testing, interviews, medical tests over and above the standards for CAT1 etc. If it is purely an aptitude test then I fully agree this should be adopted in Canada too. I do not agree fully with the charter of rights and freedoms as it does too often serve the lowest common denominator and nobody else.

I'm trying not to defend Canada's system, or really lack thereof. Just explaining it to the spring-loaded-to-whine crowd that seems to feel they are owed something just because they wear bars on their shoulders. I feel a switch to a college program only system would serve everyone better. Well, everyone except operators that count on pilots to pay their own training and work for free. There should be 6-8 colleges that offer the CPL training and none others. Private flight schools could offer recreational, private, night, IFR, multi, aircraft rental etc but no commercial. Groundschool should require at least 1000 hrs instead of just 150 of whatever pittance it is now. And the exams should require more than the memorization of the few study guide products that are out there. I mean essentially you can pass the cpl exam by spending $80 on those cheat notes.