PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas; the thread.
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2005, 08:59
andie74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Z Force

it seems that Qantas sends out these forms every year, it doesnt mean there will ever be an opportunity for full time work- i guess its just so they have a record of how many may be interested should they need to fill spots like the ones that were avail in Perth?? and im assuming your work record would definitely have some kind of bearing if it actually came to the point of offering F/T.

i dont personally think your amount of availability each month should have any bearing at all on your chances of being offered F/T should it come up. This is just my opinion, but i feel that if we have been employed as casuals, then we are casual-meaning we have the flexibility to work the days we choose- and after all thats wot we applied for. should the company decide that they have F/T positions to offer, then each person should be considered based on merit- not simply bcos they were happy to work every day god sends. i usually work 4/5 days a week, but i dont feel that it should give me any advantage over someone who works less, or disadvantage over someone who works 6 on 1 off.

a person may well be working only 3 days a week now, but speaking hypothetically, in a years time that same person may decide that if full time work was offered that they would be interested. in just the same way someone outside of Qantas may only be working part time or casually a few days each week, but may then decide that they want to work full time hours. situtations change. people have different reasons for applying for casual work, some are able to work alot, and others for various reasons (ie kids, other businesses, other commitments, lifestyle) work less. Should that stop them from being considered for full time work if they choose to apply- definitely not. but again...just my opinion!