PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gazelle Crash
Thread: Gazelle Crash
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2001, 16:20
sling load

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VFR Pilot,
I have two points, first I wasn't there and second, have not seen or heard of the accident by any other medium. I make my comments based on experience attending helicopter accidents and being an experienced helo driver who, has also flown at "schools, fetes, open days, air shows and military airfields".
Ok, my point is the photograph on its own appears inconclusive, other than to say a steep angle of impact, very little damage to the tailboom and fenestron section. Also the transmission and rotor blades do not appear visible, to me anyhow. Wirestrike? I can't say, but what I can definatly say is that the paragraph about a display to army cadets is the very interesting part. You see, at airshows and the like, where an opportunity to throw the aircraft around a little comes up, pilots tend to go a little farther than they should...I can't say that is the cause of this accident, all I am saying that is from my experience, a lot of pilots do things they absolutely should not do, period. If I ever had the urge to do wingovers, low flying, or just to throw the helo around, I would do it with a check and training pilot or senior pilot or chief pilot. No passengers. This would be the best way to complete the urge before you got the helo into unrecoverable situations. I also found that once the abovementioned pilot demonstrated one, without you being on the controls, it was pretty damn scary, subsequently, the next one I demonstrated was far more reserved and sedate.

I have no idea what happened to Capt Hall, but I would suggest that the investigators will take that into account.

I also note that he had been at the School and was returning to his base, and the accident may have occurred away from and out of sight of the Cadets. I just thought it might be a factor, I do not know.

Also, you are not a lowly PPL pilot, you are a PPL pilot. We all start with nothing, and anything that is useful to you will benefit you one day. Your question to experienced pilots is commendable, I beleive no one would take offence at that summary.

If you get the urge to do something that you don't feel safe doing, take a go around every time, and grab an instructor to show you any manouvers you would like to try....... just my two cents.

[ 20 November 2001: Message edited by: sling load ]

[ 20 November 2001: Message edited by: sling load ]